[Snort-users] Reload rules with out restarting snort completly

Frank Knobbe frank at ...9761...
Fri Sep 2 23:03:28 EDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 19:24 +0800, Michael Boman wrote:
> On 9/2/05, Pablo Nebrera <pablonebrera at ...13472...> wrote:
> > How do I reaload the snort rules with out restarting snort completly???
> > Is that possible??
>
> No, it's not possible at the moment and perhaps never will..

Heya Michael,

perhaps he meant a reload with having to stop/kill Snort and start it up
again. The answer to that is Yes, you can cause Snort to reload the
rules and config without having to restart it. You do that by sending
Snort the HUP signal. "killall -HUP snort" will cause Snort to reload
config and rules, but the process never stops, so if you run it with
daemontools or some other scripts, it will not continue with the script.

But I thought you knew that ;)

Cheers,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.