[Snort-users] Tagged Packet ... AAAHHH

Joel Esler joel.esler at ...1935...
Sun Oct 30 09:37:51 EST 2005

Dirk is right.  It could be a reassembled packet logging as well.
There's nothing wrong with having "tag" in a rule (I referenced
bleedingsnort.com, as there are alot of good rules over there that
use "tag", to capture more of a referenced alert, it wasn't a hit on
bleedingsnort.com, it's just a reference)

As a good friend of mine told me, "old snort used to reassemble
attacks into a "pseudo" packet and that is what you got as an alert.
These days you will get the member packets instead of the pseudo
packet".  So if you have an alert that is generated, stream4 will
give you the "after packets" instead of the "one pseudo" packet.
Those "after packets" are called "tagged packet"