[Snort-users] Sensors failing to report & upgrading snort

Michael Mulholland Michael.Mulholland at ...9481...
Tue Oct 25 06:56:39 EDT 2005

folks

i have 2 questions

1. i have 2 sensors failing to report back to my server, what commands can
i use to test if

      (a) the sensor is trapping alerts

      (b) the server is in contact with the sensor

we have a 2 year old snort install and i have stopped and restarted the
snort service

2. i now want to upgrade the installation and have looked at P Harpers
guide on snort.org for installing on CentOS but i'm not sure how this
relates to my architecture, i.e. distributed sensors with single server
holding alerts

should i simply upgrade or is it wiser to consider a clean fresh install
(if so can anyone point me towards a relevant doc on how to do so)

thanks to anyone taking the time to reply

michael mulholland

  Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily
those of the Department of Finance & Personnel or The Office Of the First
Minister and  Deputy First Minister.  This email and any files transmitted
with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify
the sender immediately by using the reply facility in your email software.
All emails are swept for the presence of viruses.