[Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open Source Snort

SN ORT snort_on_acid at ...131...
Mon Oct 10 07:45:45 EDT 2005

Oh pullleeeze! I predict that Snort will be gone very
soon. Let's seeeeee, a corporate "competitor" buys up
an open-source and FREE competitor, and things will
remain the same? Everything will continue to be free
and people will continue to develop for it? Uh-huh.

You know, I actually wouldn't mind paying a bit for
Snort, but mostly because it is/was a "grassroots
program". We support the open-sourced communities. I
mean, open-source is all about alternatives, ingenuity
and a sort of 'family'. Well folks, that is now
history. I believe Snort has now been 'sold out'.

The smartest thing for us to do is start looking for
an alternative.

And open-source developers need to start building a
newer and better system, if you're a developer and
want some fame and recognition, talk to me! I am no
developer, but I know enough about just about
everything IT, and even some programming skills, and
would be glad to help. Now is the time to start!

Cheese!

Marc

http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html

> Cheers,
> Jennifer
>

> --
> Jennifer Steffens
> Director, Product Management - Snort
> Sourcefire, Inc
>
> Sam Evans wrote:
> > I think this email is directed more at the
> Sourcefire folks more so than
> > the list, but I am curious as to the future of
> Open Source Snort now
> > that Checkpoint is in the mix?  Will it remain
> Open Soruce?

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 21:03:09 -0400
> From: Jennifer Steffens
> <jennifer.steffens at ...1935...>
> To: Wally Bedford <wbedford at ...12922...>
> Cc: Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition
> and the future of Open Source
>  Snort
>
> Rules will continued to be distributed in the same
> fashion as before. I
> am not entirely sure what you mean by "release"
> rules so here are the
> details. There are two types of rules available on
> snort.org - VRT
> Certified and Community. VRT Certified rules are
> distributed as follows:
> * Subscribers receive rulesets in real-time as they
> are released
> * Registered users receive rulesets after a 5 day
> delay
> * Unregistered users receive access to the latest
> ruleset at the time of
> each Snort point release (2.4, 2.5, etc).

=== message truncated ===