[Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open Source Snort

Jennifer Steffens jennifer.steffens at ...1935...
Fri Oct 7 18:03:41 EDT 2005

Rules will continued to be distributed in the same fashion as before. I
am not entirely sure what you mean by "release" rules so here are the
details. There are two types of rules available on snort.org - VRT
Certified and Community. VRT Certified rules are distributed as follows:
* Subscribers receive rulesets in real-time as they are released
* Registered users receive rulesets after a 5 day delay
* Unregistered users receive access to the latest ruleset at the time of
each Snort point release (2.4, 2.5, etc).

These rules are always distributed under the VRT Certified Rules
License, regardless of the timing of the release. The Community ruleset
is distributed under the GPL and is freely available to all users.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Jennifer