[Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open Source Snort

Wally Bedford wbedford at ...12922...
Fri Oct 7 17:36:48 EDT 2005

Jennifer;

I have not read any comments regarding access to the rules.  Is there a
commitment to maintain the current method of obtaining "release" rules as
well as updates?

Snort is a great packet sniffer, and I'm glad to read about the ongoing
development and support for it.  However, intrusion detection = snort +
rules.

Wally

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Steffens
Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 10:21 AM
To: Sam Evans
Cc: snort-users @ lists. sourceforge. net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open
Source Snort

Both Marty and Gil Shwed, Check Point CEO, have commented on this. In a
letter to customers and partners, Gil Shwed wrote "Check Point is fully
committed to all existing Sourcefire and Check Point product lines and
the Snort open source community, and we look forward to further growing
these solutions in the future."

In addition, Mary wrote a message to the community that states "Snort is
now and will continue to be free to end-users.  We will continue to
develop and distribute the Snort engine under the GPL, improve and
document the program to stay on the cutting edge and expand the
snort.org web site.  The community continues, as always, to be important
to us as a group of people who use the code pervasively throughout the
entire Internet, report on problems and make suggestions and
contributions to the project.  Check Point is very excited about
continuing Sourcefire's involvement with the open source community!"

You can read Marty's full message at
http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html

Cheers,
Jennifer