[Snort-users] Question, probably really simple, but a question nontheless

Alex Kirk alex.kirk at ...1935...
Fri Oct 7 11:13:30 EDT 2005

Kevin,

Definitely not a dumb question. Basically, these alerts are generated
when TCP packets with an invalid length are received. The four bits in a
standard TCP header which begin at byte 13 -- i.e., directly after the
acknowledgement number -- specify the data offset, otherwise known as
the TCP header length[1] (the length of the header is equivalent to the
offset into the IP payload where the TCP payload begins, thus the two
names). Since a TCP header must be at least 20 bytes, Snort generates an
alert for packets whose reported length is less than this. Note that
this header length is given in terms of 32-bit words, so the actual
value in the packet must be multiplied by 4 in order to get a value in
bytes. [2]

All that said, it's unusual to see an IP address that ends in a .0. This
makes me wonder if there's some sort of misconfiguration somewhere, or
if something else strange is going on. Can you send PCAPs of this
traffic, or even hex dumps (PCAPs being preferable)? Being able to see
the actual packet would be a huge help in terms of determining whether
this is something you need to care about.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.

[1] http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/Course/Section4/8.htm has a good diagram
of this that even labels the area as "Data Offset."
[2] Stevens, Richard W.: TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1, p. 226.