[Snort-users] Checkpoint Acquisition and the future of Open Source Snort

Jennifer Steffens jennifer.steffens at ...1935...
Fri Oct 7 07:27:38 EDT 2005

Both Marty and Gil Shwed, Check Point CEO, have commented on this. In a
letter to customers and partners, Gil Shwed wrote "Check Point is fully
committed to all existing Sourcefire and Check Point product lines and
the Snort open source community, and we look forward to further growing
these solutions in the future."

In addition, Mary wrote a message to the community that states "Snort is
now and will continue to be free to end-users.  We will continue to
develop and distribute the Snort engine under the GPL, improve and
document the program to stay on the cutting edge and expand the
snort.org web site.  The community continues, as always, to be important
to us as a group of people who use the code pervasively throughout the
entire Internet, report on problems and make suggestions and
contributions to the project.  Check Point is very excited about
continuing Sourcefire’s involvement with the open source community!"

You can read Marty's full message at
http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html

Cheers,
Jennifer