[Snort-users] Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

Theodore Stout theodorestout at ...131...
Thu Oct 6 18:03:00 EDT 2005

--- Joe S <js.lists at ...11827...> wrote:

> Jennifer Steffens wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > We are very excited to announce that Check Point
> has signed an agreement
> > to acquire Sourcefire. We understand that this
> announcement affects not
>
> I wonder what this means for licensing costs?
> Will a sensor cost $50,000 and then when the license
> expires the box
> will stop processing traffic?
>
> hahhhaahaa sorry, can't resist.
> Checkpoint kills me with their
> "nickel-and-dime-you-to-death" tactics.

I have the same worries.  We run Interspect here and
are very aware of the pricing scheme.  I love
Checkpoint technology but I hate the pricing.
Whenever I order Checkpoint, I spend most of my time
figuring out how to lower costs, not how to enjoy the
technology.  Even when I sell it to other customers,
the pricing is extremely difficult.  Sourcefire is
much easier with licensing.  Of course during the next
year nothing will change but then after that something
will happen without a doubt.

Now I think our decision to run Interspect and resell
it as well was a good one.  I had always wondered why
the NSS tests did not have Checkpoint.  It just makes
sense now.

Theo