[Snort-users] Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

Richard Harman snort at ...13383...
Thu Oct 6 04:57:10 EDT 2005

The good thing is that Snort is GPL.  If CheckPoint/Sourcefire decides
to take the current code base and relicense it, we've still got what's
been previously released under the GPL.  You can't take back licensing
something under the GPL, that's why it's been called "viral".  Push come
to shove, Snort could be forked from the current GPL codebase into a new
project.  It's happened before in other situations.

SourceFire is a good company, and I don't think we've got anything to
worry about.