[Snort-users] Check Point Software Technologies to Acquire Sourcefire

carlopmart at ...11827... carlopmart at ...11827...
Thu Oct 6 04:48:33 EDT 2005

I think that this is a bad news. I known CheckPoint (I take working with
them arround 6 years with CheckPoint products) and I think that snort
stopped being GPL/free in one or two years maximum ....

i repeat: bad notice for GNU community.

Sorry for my bad english.

Jennifer Steffens wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> We are very excited to announce that Check Point has signed an agreement
> to acquire Sourcefire. We understand that this announcement affects not
> only Sourcefire but the community as well. We want to be sure to put
> everyone's mind at ease that Snort is now and will continue to be free
> to end-users.  We will continue to develop and distribute the Snort
> engine under the GPL, improve and document the program to stay on the
> cutting edge and expand the snort.org web site.  The community
> continues, as always, to be important to us as a group of people who use
> the code pervasively throughout the entire Internet, report on problems
> and make suggestions and contributions to the project.  Check Point is
> very excited about continuing Sourcefire’s involvement with the open
> source community!
>
> Read a message from Marty Roesch, Snort creator, to the community at
> http://www.snort.org/about_snort/msg_from_marty/mr_100605.html.
>
> Regards,
> Jennifer
>

> --