[Snort-users] Alerts of the ICMP relationship with smtp connection?

Matt Jonkman matt at ...12231...
Tue May 24 13:21:13 EDT 2005

I've seen HPUX systems ping before they send email. But it usually shows
up as a large ICMP Packet sig. Unless you have that off, in which case
it'd likely trip one of those.

It's not unusual though, and generally not a threat. Just interesting.

Matt

Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Snort version  Version 2.3.2 (Build 12).
> I have in my snort logs the alerts:
>
> 366 - ICMP Ping *nix
> 384 - ICMP Ping
> 368 - Ping BSDtype
>
> I investigated my others systems logs and in the time
> that this alert is recorded is the same that
> registered smtp connection in the maillog arquive from
> my postfix server.
>
> The source IP address in snort's log is equal the
> destination IP address in the maillog to smtp
> connection.
>
> This alerts can to be generated by my mail server when
> it sends mails?
>
> This alerts is a false positive?
>
> Thanks by help

Matthew Jonkman, CISSP