[Snort-users] Stream/Packet Capture with Snort

Marc Norton mnorton at ...1935...
Wed May 11 08:46:50 EDT 2005

You cannot capture packets prior to the event packet, usually.  The
exception is if the session data is being reassembled.  If a specific
stream is being saved for reassembly and an event packet comes along,
all of the saved packets are logged.  Otherwise, snort does not buffer
up session data as would be needed to log packets prior to an event
generating packet. Once a packet causes an event you can use event
tagging to log the rest of the session.