[Snort-users] Where's the libpcap library with the S. Krahmer patch?

Escudero, Peter Louis peterlouis.escudero at ...7950...
Thu Mar 31 11:58:03 EST 2005

Many thanks. We've decided to run multiple instances of snort.

Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Dirk
Geschke
Sent: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 2:41 AM
To: Escudero, Peter Louis
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Where's the libpcap library with the S.
Krahmer patch?

Hi Peter,

> Greetings! We'd like to run snort on multiple interfaces
> simultaneously. The documentation says that "for linux 2.1.x/2.2.x and

> higher you can use libpcap library with S. Krahmer's patch which
> allows you to specify 'any' as interface name." Where can we get this
> library with Krahmer's patch? Thanks a lot & regards.

as fas as I remember you won't need the patch for actual kernel versions
(2.4 or higher).

And maybe it would be a better idead to use the bonding device.
Here you can specify which interfaces should be grouped to a bond device
and sniff on that.

If you have a seperate network to insert the alerts in a database it
would be a good idea to remove this interface from the list.
(The probabilty is high to find a matching pattern in the database
inserts and thus end up in an endless loop...)

Best regards

Dirk