[Snort-users] RE: [Snort-sigs] Any new rules coming out of snort.org?

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Mar 31 09:15:10 EST 2005

Frank Knobbe wrote:

>>If they were originally community rules, I'd suspect SourceFire will
>>need permission from the rule author to modify the rule and distribute
>>the updates on a non GPL basis.
>>

>Why? Doesn't the GPL allow anyone to modify the rules?

Yes, the GPL allows anyone to modify the rules.. its the "distribute on
a non-GPL basis" that you can't do without permission.

It only gets sticky if they try to inhibit paid subscribers from
redistributing a rule the instant the get it. They can do that for rules
that are VRT licensed, after all SF owns those rules and can do whatever
they wish as far as licensing.

However, if they give you a GPLed rule, that's not been relicensed with
owner permission, then they cannot try to restrict your right to
redistribute it. By trying to restrict it, you essentially revoke your
GPL license to the rule and you'd have to try to argue fair use as it
defaults to a copyrighted work.