[Snort-users] Where does snort write it's errors to.?

Alex Kirk alex.kirk at ...1935...
Thu Mar 31 07:04:33 EST 2005

Mark,

How did you install Snort? I recently installed it from RPM on Fedora
Core 3, and it was definitely logging messages to /var/log/messages.

Also, what user are you running Snort as? If that user doesn't have
write permissions on /var/log/messages, that could be an issue. That's
especially true if you're starting it from a non-root account like
"mark" and then suid'ing to, say, the user "snort" -- if you start Snort
from a root shell and have it suid over, you might at least get error
messages written out before it suid's.

Alex Kirk
Research Analyst
Sourcefire, Inc.