[Snort-users] RE: [Snort-sigs] Any new rules coming out of snort.org?

Frank Knobbe frank at ...9761...
Wed Mar 30 19:24:37 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 20:58 -0500, Matt Kettler wrote:
> I think Frank's point isn't that the old versions are there, it's why
> aren't the new ones posted.

The new version of the old rules to be exact :)

> Were the above rules originally sourcefire/VRT rules, or were they
> originally community rules?

I was under the impression that all old rules (until around SID 3458 I
believe) are GPL rules and will be maintained as such. That should also
include new versions of these rules (like the update to the DNS rules).
Yet these new versions are not available via CVS for example while the
file /etc/sid has been updated in CVS.

> If they were originally community rules, I'd suspect SourceFire will
> need permission from the rule author to modify the rule and distribute
> the updates on a non GPL basis.

Why? Doesn't the GPL allow anyone to modify the rules?

Perhaps just a wrinkle in the new way of doing things, but I thought it
was worth pointing out. I hope these GPL rules will be continued in CVS.

Cheers,
Frank