[Snort-users] Capture Spam mail traffic using snort

lokesh.khanna at ...13040... lokesh.khanna at ...13040...
Tue Mar 29 22:23:04 EST 2005

Thanks. But is there any other way. If Spammer sends less than 10 mail
in 60 sec, then snort will not be able to capture that.
Is there any way to generate Alert based on content in Mail, or header
of mail?

Cordially,
Lokesh

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason [mailto:security at ...5028...]
Sent: 30 March 2005 06:59
To: Lokesh Khanna
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Capture Spam mail traffic using snort

if those systems are in your network you could try a threshold rule

alert tcp !$SMTP_SERVERS any -> any 25 (msg"possible spammer";
content:"rcpt to\:"; nocase; flow:to_server, established; threshold:type

both, track by_src, count 10, seconds 60; sid:1000000; rev:1;)

That rule should alert on any system that sends 10 mails in 60 seconds
except those defined as SMTP_SERVERS.