FW: [Snort-users] -i switch

Lee Clemens snort at ...13080...
Mon Mar 21 14:09:05 EST 2005

> I have seen documentation with using the -i switch followed by a number
> and
> with eth0, eth1, etc... However, it seems this is OS dependent.
>
> I am using windows and "Snort -W" does not supply the names of the
> connections (eth0,...).

Is there any way I can cause these numbers to remain static or work around
this issue some other way? (i.e. Bind a number with an interface or somehow
cause them to be assigned to each other?)

> I have tried installing
> Snort with "-i eth0" but OpenPcap fails to open the device.

I am asking this because I disable/enable some network connections on this
computer periodically and this disrupts the numbering scheme, causing Snort
to be looking at the wrong NIC. Thanks!