[Snort-users] -i switch

Lee Clemens snort at ...13080...
Mon Mar 21 13:25:49 EST 2005

I have seen documentation with using the -i switch followed by a number and
with eth0, eth1, etc... However, it seems this is OS dependent.

I am using windows and "Snort -W" does not supply the names of the
connections (eth0,...). Is there any way I can cause these numbers to remain
static or work around this issue some other way? I have tried installing
Snort with "-i eth0" but OpenPcap fails to open the device.

I am asking this because I disable/enable some network connections on this
computer periodically and this disrupts the numbering scheme, causing Snort
to be looking at the wrong NIC. Thanks!