[Snort-users] -bash: /usr/sbin/snort/schemas/create_mysql: Not a directory

Harper, Patrick Patrick.Harper at ...11593...
Mon Mar 21 04:18:06 EST 2005

If you installed via yum then you did not follow the FC3 guide, it
has you install it form source.  Did you install the OS and support
daemons per the doc?  Try a yum install mysql-dev, I think that is
what you are missing.  Also, are you root?  Did you login as root or
su (su -)?

- -----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sargent [mailto:powderkeg at ...11462...]
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 5:03 AM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] -bash:

Harper, Patrick wrote:

>You said you were using my FC3 doc, it already installs from source,
>n FC3 all you should have to do is the following.
>
>From
>http://www.internetsecurityguru.com/documents/snort_base_fc3.pdf
>
>tar -xvzf snort-2.3.0.tar.gz
>cd snort-2.3.0
>../configure --with-mysql
>make
>make install
>groupadd snort
>useradd -g snort snort
>mkdir /etc/snort
>mkdir /etc/snort/rules
>mkdir /var/log/snort
>

>Hi All,
>
>Lee, I'm in mysql/bin and if I run, ./mysql -h localhost -u root
>mysql  -p it successfully starts after entering the password. What I
>don't un,  is, why /usr/sbin/snort is reported as not a dir. I
>installed snort via  yum. I can run snort just by typing snort @ the
>prompt.
>
>EDIT: Ok, I decided to remove snort via yum and try a source
>install. I  got the following,

>  ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
>  checked in the following places
>        /usr/include
>        /usr/include/mysql
>        /usr/local/include
>        /usr/local/include/mysql

>Disclaimer:  This electronic message, including any attachments, is
>confidential and intended solely for use of the intended
>recipient(s). This message may contain information that is
>privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure by applicable law.
>Any unauthorized disclosure,
>dissemination, use or reproduction is strictly prohibited. If you
>have received this message in error, please delete it and notify the
>sender immediately.

Hi All,

yes, Patrick, I'm following your tut..I already had snort installed
via
yum. Anyway, as stated above, I removed the yum installation, and
went
via yr tut installing steps. But, got the error with the ./configure
- --with-mysql and not being able to find that header,

 ERROR: unable to find mysql headers (mysql.h)
 checked in the following places
       /usr/include
       /usr/include/mysql
       /usr/local/include
       /usr/local/include/mysql

What is mysql.h.? Any idea why it wouldn't be finding it.? Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real
users.