[Snort-users] Span/Snoop ports...

Skip Carter skip at ...1551...
Fri Mar 18 15:09:37 EST 2005

> I just deployed a Snort box to one of our data centers...and I ran into
> a bit of a snafu.  We have a 2948G-L3 switch and want to snort on it.
> The problem is that a L3 switch doesn't suppprt a snoop port...Has
> anyone found a way around this?

  Depending upon your setup (and budget) a network tap might work.

  We use them here with our portable IDS which is temporarily deployed
  in client networks and we can't always know what type of switch setup
  they might have.

Skip

--
 Dr. Everett (Skip) Carter           Phone: 831-641-0645 FAX:  831-641-0647
 Taygeta Network Security Services   email: skip at ...13190...