[SPAM] - RE: [Snort-users] Span/Snoop ports... - Email found in subject

Marc Hering mhering at ...13116...
Fri Mar 18 06:33:38 EST 2005

If I configured the port as a dot1q trunk would Snort understand that
traffic?    I need to mirror 2 switchs that are trunked together so I
can grab all the traffic.....

-----Original Message-----
From: Lee Clemens [mailto:snort at ...13080...]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2005 9:28 AM
To: 'Ulric Eriksson'; Marc Hering
Cc: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [SPAM] - RE: [Snort-users] Span/Snoop ports... - Email found in
subject

That particular switch does support port mirring, as per the
www.cisco.com:

Redirection of traffic from any port to a "sniff" port. (Any switching
port can be designated as a "sniff" port.)

But that would only be a port at a time, so it depends what you want to
monitor...even with a tap, is it possible to view all traffic going
through and amidst the switch?? i.e. without building 24/48 taps for
each connection? (I realize one tap for the uplink, but that would only
grab the outgoing/incoming traffic and not the LAN traffic)