[Snort-users] updating snort 2.1 using CVS

Brian Schreiner brianschreiner at ...13174...
Tue Mar 15 07:41:37 EST 2005

I am trying to update snort using the CVS server like it says in
chapter9 of the snort 2.1 SE book

In the book it says you can update using the CVS server:

"Downloading Snort source via CVS is simple. You can download it from an
anonymous CVS server:

            cvs
-d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.snort.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/snort login

            cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.snort.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/snort consort"

(im assuming these commands have changed to the ones I have below cause
when I use these, and leave the password blank I get an access denied.
Or the server has timed out)

from the book again

 "After downloading the source, updating takes only one command (from
the root of your snort source directory or, for example, from the
"rules"folder to get updates only for the rules):

            cvs -z3 update "

so I after trying to use the commands above I went to the snort.org site
and found these:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at ...12049...:/cvsroot login

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at ...12049...:/cvsroot co -r SNORT_2_1 snort

which I used and it downloaded the updated source, my question is how do
I update my installation after that? is there another command like the
one above? If so what is it? or does that do it already? How do I tell?
Sorry for all the questions, but im pretty new to this.

Thanks in advance for your help.

brian