[Snort-users] Now that I have my oink code

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at ...294...
Wed Mar 9 13:28:17 EST 2005

Snortty wrote:

>snorthost/tmp# wget
>http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/xxxxx79b7619ef78857961364970ebb16c354ae8/snortrules-snapshot-2.3.tar.gz
>--20:38:36--
>http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/b72ca79b7619ef78857961364970ebb16c354ae8/snortrules-snapshot-2.3.tar.gz
>           => `snortrules-snapshot-2.3.tar.gz'
>Connecting to 192.168.103.xx:8000... connected.
>Proxy request sent, awaiting response... 403 You must
>be a registered user with a valid oink code to
>download this file from your IP Address

I see wget is calling via a proxy server. You have ensured the address
you entered maps to the Internet address your proxy uses?

Also, I have put in a feature request to Sourcefire that they look at
making their Web pages *show you* what IP address you are facing them
with - that would help a LOT in these situations.

e.g.

"403  You must be a registered user with a valid oink code to download
this file from your IP address of 1.2.3.4"

Those last two words would have made a world of difference to you...

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417