[Snort-users] My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT rules ..

Willy, Andrew AWilly at ...13017...
Wed Mar 9 10:40:51 EST 2005

I laughed when someone posted this "clause" to the list (no offense).  If it
is a standard provision, I haven't been paying enough attention to the EULAs
I've read (entirely possible), because I haven't heard of it before.

Regards,

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Roesch [mailto:roesch at ...1935...]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:35 PM
To: Arseneault, Thomas (HQP)
Cc: Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez; snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT
rules..

Just FYI, I talked to our lawyers about this and it's a standard
provision in software license agreements.  Basically if you're not
violating the use clause in the agreement, then you have absolutely
nothing to be concerned with.  Stormtroopers wearing Snort masks are
not
going to randomly show up at your door and demand to see your books.
In the unlikely event we suspect that someone is trying to distribute
the VRT rules for a profit, this provision merely provides us some
recourse to seek assurances that our suspicions are incorrect, or, as a
last
resort, perform an audit.  Audits are expensive and going around
performing them without cause will certainly do us more harm then good.
  And it goes without saying that we would comply and respect local law
before attempting to do anything.

      -Marty

On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:06 PM, Arseneault, Thomas (HQP) wrote:

> They do have a blurb in there concerning if local laws prevent fully
> complying with the license terms so they did think of that. I'll leave
> it up to the lawyers to determine how good/bad the clause is, but it
> is there.
>
> Tom Arseneault
> Security Engineer
> Robert Half International

Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend. - http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention -
http://www.snort.org

Snort-users list archive:
NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY-The information in this email, including
attachments, may be confidential and/or privileged and may contain
confidential health information. This email is intended to be reviewed only
by the individual or organization named as addressee. If you have received
this email in error please notify Scottsdale Medical Imaging, an affiliate
of Southwest Diagnostic Imaging, LTD immediately - by return message to the
sender or to support at ...13018... - and destroy all copies of this message and
any attachments. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those
of Scottsdale Medical Imaging. Confidential health information is protected
by state and federal law, including, but not limited to, the Health
Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and related
regulations.