[Snort-users] rules download for registered users

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Tue Mar 8 20:42:42 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Snort" <Snort at ...13151...>
To: <Snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 10:18 PM
Subject: [Snort-users] rules download for registered users

Is registering for oinkmaster the only way to download the VRT rules
snapshots via backend scripts and/or programs? I have a custom script
that used to download the rules once a day using the following URL, but
the new link for registered users is a .cgi script that verifies if you
are logged in as a registered user, which of course doesn't work for
backend scripts... I'm guess registering as a oink user is the way to
go?

/usr/bin/wget
http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/snortrules-snapshot-2_2.tar.gz
--directory-prefix=/usr/local/snort/rules

All you have to do is change your script like this:
/usr/bin/wget
http://www.snort.org/pub-bin/oinkmaster.cgi/{oinkcode}/snortrules-snapshot-2.2.tar.gz -
-directory-prefix=/usr/local/snort/rules

You get the oinkcode from Sourcefire after you've registered.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member