[Snort-users] My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT rules..

Arseneault, Thomas (HQP) thomas.arseneault at ...13070...
Tue Mar 8 12:07:36 EST 2005

They do have a blurb in there concerning if local laws prevent fully complying with the license terms so they did think of that. I'll leave it up to the lawyers to determine how good/bad the clause is, but it is there.

Tom Arseneault
Security Engineer
Robert Half International

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net [mailto:snort-users-admin at ...3204...ts.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 12:00 PM
To: snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] My Experience with the new Sourcefire VRT rules..

El mar, 08-03-2005 a las 13:32 -0500, Scott Morris escribió:

>     It is a new site so I'll give them slack there. However our
> corporate counsel had  apoplexy when he saw the license terms.
> Particularly the granting access to books, records and facilities.
>
> You will, from time to time and as requested by Sourcefire, provide
> assurances to Sourcefire that you are using the VRT Certified Rules
> consistent with a Permitted Use, and you grant Sourcefire access, at
> reasonable times and in a reasonable manner, to the VRT Certified
> Rules in your possession or control, and to your books, records and
> facilities to permit Sourcefire to verify appropriate use of the VRT
> Certified Rules and compliance with this Agreement.

This is completely illegal. At least in my country, Spain. Sourcefire should be aware that their license it's under the control of the country laws they are selling their services to. I think this it's going too fast. I agree with the new licensing terms, but this is an error. I think Sourcefire should take a look at their licensing terms or the license will not be legal in many countries.

Regards.

--

Jose Maria Lopez Hernandez
Director Tecnico de bgSEC

The only people for me are the mad ones -- the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow Roman candles.
                -- Jack Kerouac, "On the Road"