[Snort-users] Licensing

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Tue Mar 8 08:13:42 EST 2005

At 09:11 PM 3/7/2005, Peter J Manis wrote:
>I think you misinterpreted Marty's email.  Sourcefire doesnt allow you to
>bundle VRT rules in a commercial product no matter if you have a
>subscription or not, at least thats what the license says.

I didn't say a subscription would allow commercial redistribution. I said
you had to pay in order to do commercial redistribution. i.e.: you need to
obtain a commercial license from SF.

Basically there are two situations that involve you having to pay money of
some amount to Sourcefire for the VRT rules. 1) if you want them fast you
need a subscription 2) if you want to bundle them you need a commercial
distribution license.

Obviously 1) much cheaper, and 2) is subject to negotiations.