[Snort-users] Licensing

Bob Walder bwalder at ...1926...
Tue Mar 8 00:04:15 EST 2005

Matt makes some excellent points.

Sourcefire has put a lot of resource behind cleaning up the Snort rules and,
in all honesty, I doubt that ANY other commercial organisation would be
prepared to give those rules away for free at all - go on, ask the other
major IDS/IPS vendors if you can have access to their signature libraries,
even 5 days after they have released them to their paying customers. They
would laugh in your face.

The community rules continue to be free and freely available. That is all
you can realistically expect for what you are "paying" for Snort. As someone
else said in this forum recently, if you are upset about this latest
announcement, you should ask for your money back....

It would not surprise or upset me if Sourcefire eventually decided to keep
its VRT rule set to itself - that is what other vendors do right now. Why
SHOULD they give their work away for free? Before you flame me for that,
please note that I am ONLY talking about their own rules here, developed in
house, NOT the open source elements of Snort.

For the moment, Marty and Sourcefire continue to be overly generous IMHO

Bob Walder
The NSS Group
www.nss.co.uk