[Snort-users] Licensing

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Mon Mar 7 18:53:34 EST 2005

To lay things out explicitly:

1) Existing rules distributed from snort.org prior to March 7th will
remain under the GPL and can be redistributed/downloaded if you
register (for free).

2) Community rules developed externally to Sourcefire will be available
under their respective author's licenses as before.

3) VRT rules developed and QA'd at Sourcefire will be available for
commercial redistribution if the commercial entity acquires a license
from Sourcefire.  End users (corporate or otherwise) may register and
receive their rules as usual *or* they may individually subscribe to
snort.org for a fee to receive rules at the same time Sourcefire
customers do.  If they do not wish to register at all then there will
be rules updates in Snort point releases every 3-6 months.

In other words, if you want the VRT rules as an end user you do not
have to pay, you just have to register.  If you want to get early
access to them then you need a for-pay subscription.  Open source end
users (i.e. those that aren't offering products or services that
redistribute Snort rules as part of the offering) can get the VRT rules
just by registering.  Companies that are redistributing the VRT rules
as part of a product offering or service will need a for-pay license
from Sourcefire.

      -Marty

On Mar 7, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor
wrote:

> Ok.  I know I haven’t read all the hoopla and complaining about this
> new licensing – but this means that if we want the VRT rules we have
> to pay?  Sorry for being slow…
>

> Krisa Rowland

Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend. - http://www.sourcefire.com
Snort: Open Source Intrusion Detection and Prevention -
http://www.snort.org