[Snort-users] Licensing

Peter J Manis pmanis at ...5068...
Mon Mar 7 18:12:21 EST 2005

commercial product.

Peter

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Kettler" <mkettler at ...4108...>
To: "Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor"
<Krisa.W.Rowland at ...3768...>; <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Monday, March 07, 2005 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Licensing

At 06:07 PM 3/7/2005, Rowland, Krisa W ERDC-ITL-MS Contractor wrote:
>Ok.  I know I haven't read all the hoopla and complaining about this new
>licensing - but this means that if we want the VRT rules we have to pay?
>Sorry for being slow.

Only if you want them as fast as the normal Sourcefire customers get them,
or if you want to rebundle them in a commercial product.

See Marty's post with Message ID:
45cfecfcfb7c474d58e180f5d9344bcd at ...1935...

AFAIK the VRT rules have always been available to SF customers before the
OSS side gets them. Fresher updates from VRT has been a selling point of SF
boxes for years. Now you can opt to subscribe to the faster updates for a
fee without having to buy a SF box.. Sounds good to me.

As for the rebundlers, well, I'd hate to compete with someone who's simply
sponging all my resources for free... They're also still free to use all
the snort code, even SF's contributions to the snort code, and the
community/bleeding rules in their commercial products.

I think they're being quite reasonable, as the changes only apply to the
VRT rules. I'm pleased they're willing to give us their VRT rules for free
at all.

Of course, if they ever did anything as unlikely as to try to subvert the
code, I'd show up on their doorstep to deliver a letter berating them for
the act, but I doubt Marty and co. will ever do such a thing. SF may not be
perfect people, but they seem to be Good People, and their continued
contributions to a free Snort are solid evidence of that.