[Snort-users] New www.snort.org site launched

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Mon Mar 7 14:33:37 EST 2005

http://www.snort.org

I'd like to thank everyone for their support of the changes Sourcefire
is making to the licensing and distribution model of Snort rules. It is
truly our intent to continue to support the open source model and
encourage even greater community involvement.

With that in mind, we are pleased to announce that the new snort.org
web site has gone live. Based on feedback from the community, we have
redesigned an enhanced site that includes new features such as user
forums.

Along with this new site, the new licensing and distribution model of
Snort rules is available. As of today, there will be two sets of Snort
rules available on www.snort.org: (i) the Community Rules and (ii) the
new Sourcefire VRT Certified Rules.  Community Rules are those
submitted by end users, integrators or anyone willing to distribute
their rules under the GPL. The use and distribution of the new
Community Rules will be governed by the GNU General Public License and
will only be available on snort.org. VRT Certified Rules, on the other
hand, are the official Snort Rules that have been created, tested and
certified by the Sourcefire Vulnerability Research Team (VRT).  The VRT
Certified Rules will be distributed under a new license that restricts
commercial redistribution and public dissemination.

We have published a set of VRT Certified Rules under the GPL and made
them accessible to registered and subscribed users. Future releases
will be governed by the new VRT Certified Rules License Agreement and
will be available to Subscribers 5 days in advance of registered users.
The next release is currently scheduled for Wednesday, March 9th, 2005.

As always, your questions and feedback are important to us. Please
contact us at snort-feedback at ...1935...

Sourcefire - Discover.  Determine.  Defend.