[Snort-users] running basic snort on windows

Craig W codecraig at ...11827...
Mon Mar 7 12:29:52 EST 2005

I am running snort v2.3.0 RC2 on win xp pro....following the advice
given in previous posts I running through the README.WIN32....

When i perform one of the "simple" tests i get an error...below is what i did

C:\>snort -v -n 3 - i 1
Running in packet dump mode

Initializing Network Interface \Device\NPF_{<mac_address_was_here>
}
ERROR: OpenPcap() FSM compilation failed:
        parse error
PCAP command: i 1
Fatal Error, Quitting..

I installed WinPCap v3.0, then installed snort, rebooted my machine.
FYI, i ran snort -W first to list my interfaces and it worked (i only
have 1).

thanks