[Snort-users] Licensing, etc.

William Mathews bill at ...13127...
Fri Mar 4 20:00:17 EST 2005

  We use Open source software quite a bit and try to contribute back to
the community as much as possible (we host user groups, different
projects and participate in several projects). I see a lot of companies
that make quite a bit of money off of various Open Source software and
basically rename the project something else (SpamAssassin becomes
MailClean, or SuperSpamBlocker Pro, Nessus becomes Mega Compliancy
Checker 5.0, etc).  It's really quite disgusting.  What is often missed
about Open Source software (and I see it all the time) is that "free"
doesn't mean "free," it just means that you can modify the code as you
see fit, not get everyone else to do all the work while you collect the
money. As for the new licensing of the rules, its not like the rules
are being taken away, it does seem like a genuine move to both boost
SourceFire and the Snort community. Remember, if SourceFire doesn't do
well, Snort won't do well. I'm pretty sure (and I don't speak for
Marty) that the intention is not to punish the steadfast supporters of
the project but to discourage certain larger companies from making
money with absolutely zero investment. I don't think anyone can see
that as unfair or wrong, except of course for those companies affected.

--
Bill Mathews 			|    PGP: https://www.hurricanelabs.com/bill.asc
Technical Officer		|