[Snort-users] error starting snort

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Fri Mar 4 14:27:36 EST 2005

--On Friday, March 04, 2005 04:11:52 PM -0500 Jason Benway
<benwaynet at ...11827...> wrote:

> I starting trying to update the snort rules using oinkmaster
> I have all my rules in /etc/snort/rules
> I did try adding the bleeding snort rules, but I've commented them out
> and I'm still getting the error.
> Before I started updating the rules everything was working.
> But now I get
> ERROR: ./snort.conf(289) => Unable to open the IIS Unicode Map file
> './unicode.map'.
> Fatal Error, Quitting..

First, which version of snort are you running?

Second, which version of the rules did you download?

Then we can figure out what you need to do to fix the problem.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member