[Snort-users] Demarc Certified Open Signatures

Paul Schmehl pauls at ...6838...
Fri Mar 4 11:46:27 EST 2005

--On Thursday, March 03, 2005 12:41:31 PM -0500 Wayne Jackson
<wayne.jackson at ...1935...> wrote:

> We have gone WAY above and beyond, in my humble opinion, protecting the
> Snort user community and that should be even more evident as the new site
> goes live Monday.

Oh, Lord, he says, scrambling to figure out what links will break on
Monday.....:-)

While I agree wholeheartedly with your remarks, Wayne, I'd like to extend
them even further.

Have those who are now complaining bitterly even given any thought to the
work that Sourcefire *contributes* to the open source community at no
charge?  Rather than assuming the worst will happen (which IMNSHO is highly
unlikely *anyway*) why not be thankful for the contributions of Marty and
Brian, et. al. to open source?

In the very worst case, someone would simply fork the snort development off
to a new IDS if Sourcefire ever tried to "take it private".  Furthermore,
Wayne makes a very good point about "others" who ignore the licensing
requirements of the GPL.

While open source is wonderful, it is *not* a license to steal someone
else's work, claim it as your own and *sell* the technology to others,
without giving the developers any credit.  Those are are strong open source
advocates should be *especially* offended by this behavior *and* thankful
that Sourcefire is willing **and has the funding** to *do* something about
it.

As for the snide remark about 92K for a Sourcefire appliance --- if you've
seen RNA, then you would know that it's worth every penny of it *and* no
one is forcing you to buy their product.

Some folks just need to get a grip.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at ...6838...)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas