[Snort-users] Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

Theodore Stout theodorestout at ...131...
Fri Mar 4 07:19:13 EST 2005

All,

I am surprised at this thread.  I have been working
slavish lately and have been unable to look at
anything, barely even the sky.

The very thought that Snort would cease to be open is
ridiculous.  What are you smoking?  There are too many
people in the community who are lunatics about Snort
to make it ever fully become "Closed" Why people would
be so alarmist is beyond my understanding.

In order for any one to make Snort fully propritetary,
every distrubution of Snort would have to be
controlled.  Do you think any organaization has that
kind of ability?  Nope.  No one is getting my Snort
from my apartment. No way, ain't going to happen.  My
wife is an archer and I have a good sword,(I live in
Japan and she is Japanese) we will see who becomes
bacon if anyone tries to take my Snort.  As long as
there are people out their with source code and others
who are devoted to making new rules, Snort will
eternally be open source.  Basically, as long as there
are college students who like linux distributions &
jolt and dislike sunlight there will always be Snort.

Who cares if SF has a different method of licensing?
That is business.  I just heard about it from this
thread and I am not losing any sleep about it
whatsoever.  In fact I am going to sleep right after I
finish this entry.  The fact that anyone could be
scared by any organization only means that there is a
lack of faith in the community supporting Snort, not
that a company is being overly capitalistic.  Marty is
not Gates.  Shoot, even my G5 is better than his
office computer, why anyone would feel like Big
Company is about to take the Snort pig out of the open
pen to make bacon is beyond my comprehension.

Again, it is impossible to take Open out of Snort
because there are too many users and no one
orgainzation can possibily gain that degree of control
over the community.  So chill out and be  thankful for
what we`ve got; an extremely friendly company who
supports an open source product what helps put food on
the table, and new Powerbooks on the desk, for many
many open source engineers.  Let's support Snort and
each other and let SF deal with its licensing as it
pleases.

As for any negative comments about SF Snort Training,
I took it and it was really good.  Much better than
SANS.  Why would anyone waste their time saying
anything bad about it?  It was good training.  Man,
some people just don't understand just how blessed
they really are!

Theodore Stout