[Snort-users] Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

Michael Steele michaels at ...9077...
Thu Mar 3 23:54:12 EST 2005

Peter,
Ok, remember this when Sourcefire forks the source code for Snort. I doubt
that will ever happen, but who is to say what might happen down the road.

Sourcefire is where they are at this point because of the development that
was produced pre-Sourcefire. There was a LOT of development on Snort outside
of Marty, and Sourcefire has built on that development. It would have taken
years longer for Snort to be developed to where it was when Sourcefire was
created.

Sourcefire has placed a LOT of money into developing Snort, and that's a
given, but they are the biggest reapers of profit from Snort. I just heard
there is a 90k IDS solution that Sourcefire is or will be selling.

This is NO big deal. It's just one small step. If people don't really care
and voice their opinions it will leave the door open for further
restrictions. Remember, baby steps first.

Kindest regards,
Michael...

WINSNORT.com Management Team Member
mailto:support at ...9077...