[Snort-users] Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

James Riden j.riden at ...11179...
Thu Mar 3 11:44:10 EST 2005

"Peter J Manis" <pmanis at ...5068...> writes:

> I agree.  This is sad.  Essentially, what is happening here is
> taking the open out of the opensource.  First the rules from
> Sourcefire, and now they are trying to take Bleeding Snort.  I
> understand if Sourcefire is upset about a few individuals using
> their rules, but what business do they have attempting to take
> Bleeding Snort under their control?  This is clearly a coorporation
> hoax to monopolize the development of Snort rules, first by
> licensing the Sourcefire rules, and now trying to get Bleeding Snort
> to abide by their licenses!  Next will be Snort itself!

I suggest you ask for your money back.

This is not the end of the world; it's precisely what the GPL was
designed for. Anyone who wants to fork the current sourcecode and
rulebase may do so, and do their own development.

--
James Riden / j.riden at ...11179... / Systems Security Engineer