[Snort-users] Demarc Certified Open Signatures

Wayne Jackson wayne.jackson at ...1935...
Thu Mar 3 09:41:55 EST 2005

Eric,

I haven't yet weighed in, as of yet, but see your observations as the
perfect opportunity to do so.

First, as an investor, board member, and proud part of the management team
here at Sourcefire I can absolutely assure you that Marty has always been,
and will remain, the heart and soul of this company. Trust me, Marty still
has the reigns when it comes to all things relating to Snort.

Second, our decision to modify the license for new, Sourcefire-created Snort
rules was based on principles of fundamental fairness. It is a simple fact
that there are dozens of companies that use the intellectual property that
we contribute to the Snort community while contributing little, if anything,
back to us or the community in return. Further, some of these companies
routinely abuse our copyrights, remove banners from source code, withhold
derivative works, hide trademark notices, etc., all of which is completely
outside the letter and spirit of the GPL and should not be tolerated by
anyone.

Don't like venture capital? Remember that Snort wasn't even a stateful
inspection technology before Marty started Sourcefire. And to your comment
regarding Sourcefire's hosting and maintaining Snort.org, we simply say
"you're welcome".

And finally, as Marty observed in an earlier post, Sourcefire will continue
to innovate and deliver meaningful improvements to those who value Snort -
even you. You will also notice huge improvements to Snort.org, most of which
are oriented specifically to the kind of community building and open
idea-sharing that you seem to think we would find threatening.

We have gone WAY above and beyond, in my humble opinion, protecting the
Snort user community and that should be even more evident as the new site
goes live Monday. This will also be reinforced with every continuing
contribution that Sourcefire makes in the years to come.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Regards,

     Wayne Jackson, CEO
     Sourcefire