[Snort-users] Sourcefire Tactics - New Licensing

Peter J Manis pmanis at ...5068...
Wed Mar 2 23:07:07 EST 2005

Ok.  Before I get a billion replies bashing me.

1. I sent out my original email before Mary sent out a second email stating
Snort will alwasy be free.
2. I felt skeptical about the Bleeding Snort digest email I got saying
Sourcefire contacted Bleeding Snort about creating one source, which is my
opinion and I am entitled to have it.  A one stop shop is always nice in
theory, but in practice, I believe it is a good thing to have many sources.
3. I paid out of my own pocket and did attend both the Sourcefire Snort IDS
and Sourcefire Rules classes.  I think that the extremely expensive prices
for those classes that I paid should be plenty for me giving back to Marty
and Sourcefire.  I have the Sourcefire certificates to prove this, and im
sure my name is in Sourcfire's files as well.
4. I applaud and am grateful for the effort Marty and Sourcefire have
provided over the years.  The comment about the opensource community being a
large part of the success of Snort and Sourcefire is a true statement.  It
was also an echo from an email I recieved from the WinSnort mailing list.
Eveyone has put time and effort into Snort.
5. My intention for speaking is just to point out the bads in what this
licensing venture can create.  I am neither trying to defame Sourcefire nor
Marty.  I think Marty is an individual to be envied and appreciated.
However, people need to understand that Sourcefire in itself may or may not
have a conflict of interest because it is indeed a firm trying to make a
profit.  What is in the best interest for Sourcefire may not necessarily be
the best interest of the opensource community.  And I say once again, I am
NOT taking one side or the other, just pointing out possible problems.  I
appolige if I offended anyone in my previous email if the message in my
previous email was a little strong.

Peter