[Snort-users] Demarc Certified Open Signatures

Demarc Security snort_ml at ...2629...
Wed Mar 2 15:04:55 EST 2005

We haven't tested them with Oinkmaster yet, however you should have no
problem.  If for some reason they aren't compatible with oinkmaster, please
shoot me an email with the details and we'll make any necessary corrections to
make them compatible.  Additionally, we'll be adding the ability to search the
rulesets and find out exactly what has changed from day to day (script
friendly interfaces too!).

To Bamm's point on copyrights, The details about who wrote/contributed to each
individual rule is available through our Snort rule description database
interface at the community portal:

http://snort.demarc.com/signatures/

As for the downloads, we originally had separate contributer lines for each
individual rule to give everyone credit who worked on the rules such as all
the people who have contributed rules on the snort-sigs mailing list and all
the rules that originally came from whitehats, however this made the file
bulky and hard to visually parse.  We will however have the script that
interfaces with the rules database and creates these downloads reinsert the
general catchall line crediting marty, brian, "et al" to make sure that there
is no misinterpretation of our intentions.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Ashlyn Reznik
Demarc Threat Research Team
Email: areznik at ...4451...