[Snort-users] Unified Log Format

Martin Roesch roesch at ...1935...
Tue Jun 28 19:36:22 EDT 2005

Hi Mario,

That's pretty cool, nice idea!

If you want a comprehensive map of the SIDs (Snort ID's) of GID 1,
you should look at the sid-msg.map file in the etc directory of your
Snort distribution.  SID 527 is a bad-traffic.rules detect for same
source/dest IP in a packet.  Typically you'll get these listening on
loopback...

Basically you can infer the structure of the packet data that's
stored in a unified log record based on the GID of the event.
Typically the log data will be a standard Snort packet, but on
aggregate event like a portscan you'll get our crammed packet type
that we're overloading the field with.  GIDs 100, 117, 121 and 122
are all various portscan detectors that have been built for Snort
over the years, you might just want to skip those records...

       -Marty