[Snort-users] PF_RING question

Milani Paolo Paolo.Milani at ...3258...
Thu Jun 23 03:15:38 EDT 2005

Hi dennis,

I think I can answer your question.

The size of the buffers for packets in the ring buffer is set as a module option when inserting the module, as an example:

insmod ring.o bucket_len=1514

See the readme in the kernel directory of the ring tar.gz for info on other module options.

User side options like tcpdump -s cannot make you sample more data than has been made available kernel side.

Paolo Milani

From: "Dennis Henderson" <hendo at ...3663...>
To: <snort-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:16:09 -0500
Subject: [Snort-users] PF_RING question

Is there anyone out there using PF_RING for your snort setup?

I seem to have it compiled into the kernel and have a modified libpcap that
works.

The problem is that I think that PF_RING is only letting me see 68 bytes of
every packet.

I'm using env vars  PCAP_FRAMES=max and PCAP_SNAPLEN=1514 but when I
actually sniff the traffic using tcpdump with a -s 1514, I don't see packets
bigger than 68 bytes.

Have any of you clueful persons out there seen this behavior?

Thanks

Dennis

End of Snort-users Digest

Gruppo Telecom Italia - Direzione e coordinamento di Telecom Italia S.p.A.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please send an e_mail to
MailAdmin at ...13220... Thank you