[Snort-users] TRACE disable problem with AIX

ian acces ian at ...12163...
Tue Jun 21 18:52:51 EDT 2005

Following a number of alerts for WEB-MISC TRACE attempts, I decided to
disable the TRACE command on our webservers using the mod_rewrite workaround
described by Whitehats, namely inserting:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} ^TRACE
RewriteRule .* - [F]

in httpd.conf.

This has worked on the linux server I tested it on, returning a 403
forbidden, as I hoped, but refuses to work on an AIX 5.1 system. Mod_rewrite
is installed and enabled but TRACE requests continue to mirror the submitted
data rather than the 403 I want to see.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Regards