[Snort-users] Re: Free Inodes

Matt Kettler mkettler at ...4108...
Thu Jun 9 08:30:18 EDT 2005

Nigel Houghton wrote:
> First of all, I apologize for the length of this message, I just
> included all the replies and the original message purely for the mail
> archive being a little more readable.
>
> I-Nodes gentlemen, are the actual issue here. What you are all failing
> to mention is that a partition not only relies on the size given to it
> but the size of the inodes allowed. Thus, a 10 Gig partition with an
> inode size of 1024 will hold considerably more files than the same
> partition with an inode size of 4096, quite possibly, four times as
> many files.

True, I was strictly placing my case from the "Defaults are just that. Defaults.
They don't work for everyone" perspective. Furthermore, I was arguing that the
default OS install should not be used as a metric for how applications should
use disk. Clearly many applications don't fit this model.

Admittedly my examples of common apps that don't work with "default" setups were
all based on size (bytes), but the same general arguments could be made for
inode count, just different examples would be required.