[Snort-users] Free Inodes

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at ...6608...
Wed Jun 8 08:10:01 EDT 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, Jason wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> I know the whole "I'm running out of inodes" thing is in the FAQ.
>>
>> What I don't understand is why a potentially large directory is put in what
>> is one of the typically smallest directories.
>
> I'm confused by this statement. Why wouldn't the logs be placed under
> /var/log?

Just to clarify, because under most systems with a separate /var
partition (the BSD default install included), this directory is on the
smaller size, and has an inode count
to match.

-Dan

>> How can I change this directory?  Under FreeBSD I've tried a symlink from
>> /usr/local/var/log/snort to /var/log/snort but it looks like that's blown
>> away and replaced by a real directory at snort startup.
>>
>> I'm less thrilled by the idea of moving all of /var/log under /usr to fix
>> this.
>>
>> Is there a config file I can tweak to handle this?
>
> http://www.snort.org/docs/snort_htmanuals/htmanual_233/node10.html
>

>> Also, I figure I can clean out the directory with a periodic cron tab
>> (every five minutes)
>>
>> find / -atime +1h -delete
>>
>> Will this break things?
>
> no
>

>> -Dan
>>
>> --
>>
>> "A single death is a tragedy.  A million deaths is a statistic."
>>
>> -Josef Stalin, As quoted on the cover to Savatage's "Dead Winter Dead"

"GO HOME AND COOK!!!"

Donielle Cocossa, Taco Bell, 2:30 AM