[Snort-users] Alerts

Hugo Chun Hin Lai hchlai at ...2792...
Wed Jan 26 08:24:01 EST 2005

David, I have also seen a lot of these ICMP packets on my network. In fact, I have also seen "ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Prohibited" alerts on my network as well. Sig 485 and sig 486 seems to be related, but I have not figured out the exact differences. I have read RFC 1812 but I am still very lost. I am currently checking my routers' ACL and firewall rules to see if I am denying any traffic that's particular causing the alert. The only worry that I have is spoofed traffic. Can anybody give me some pointers on how to investigate these alerts (ICPM Destination Unreachable Communication Administratively Prohibited & ICMP Destination Unreachable Communication with Destination Host is Administratively Prohibited)?
Many Thanks!

Hugo