[Snort-users] Cisco IDS

Bamm Visscher bamm.visscher at ...11827...
Wed Jan 19 08:08:16 EST 2005

Since you asked ;)

In sguil, we use p0f to identify the OS when a transcript [0] is
requested.  We've pushed around a couple of concepts for using it on a
larger scale (do we just run p0f as is and load the data into the DB
or can we gleen the information with sancp [1] and just add the needed
fields to an existing table [2]).

I like what Marty and crew is doing with RNA too.  Check out pads [3]
for a poor man's implementation.  Passive OS and application detection
(pads calls it passive asset detection) can help put an alert into
context.  Context is a huge piece of analysis, but often an
afterthought and/or not included with most commercial implementations.

Sguil is built around a process we call NSM [4], and collecting the
right data to put an alert into context is a big part of that process.
I believe in the 'Big 3':  alert data, sessions/connections/flows, and
raw pcap. All this data can be a pain to collect and a nightmare to
manage, but it pays huge dividends. Technologies like RNA, pads, p0f,
syslogs, FW logs, etc are an asset too, but if you can manage to get
the 'big 3' then it lessens the value and need for the others (IMHO).
With that said, getting the 'big 3' isn't always easy, and sometimes
not even practical. If I could not get all the pieces of the 'big 3'
then I would definately use applications like RNA to help fill those
holes.

As far as Sguil being "a little young and a pain to get working":
Actually, the project isn't that young (feel free to call ME young
though).  Although it has "only" been on SourceForge and publicly
available for just over two years, the process it's built on has been
around since the dawn of IDS. I also wrote a similar, but proprietary
interface almost two years before Sguil, so I'd say the concept is
'proven'.  Like most opensource projects, the development goes in
bursts when I (and others) find/make time (I have to juggle the wife,
kids, work, UrT, wife, kids, riding, kids, honey do's, kids ;) ). The
install can be painful, but please understand you are talking about
three different collection apps (snort (ids), sancp, and snort (pcap
logging)) all working together (but seperately). You're not limited to
any specific hardware or operating system (each w/their own little
quirks). On the flip side, the community is very helpful and answers
questions on the mailing lists rather quickly. Analysts can also join
#snort-gui on irc.freenode.net and get help (we live to enlighten
people on the virtues of NSM).  After all, Sguil is built by Analysts,
for Analysts ;).

BTW, my production install consists six geographically seperate
sensors reporting to a single sguild and DB. I only get about 20,000
alerts/day with a total of just over 2.5 million alerts currently in
the DB. I load between 4-5 million rows of sancp data per day with 20
million total. My busiest sensor logs 1.5-2.0GBs worth of pcap data
every 15 minutes (during peak hours).  I'd probably consider this a
'small to medium' sized install. The largest Sguil implementation I
know of has ~25 sensors. Not sure on the complete stats. I also know
there are a couple of .edu installs that may not have a ton of
sensors, but they log a buttload (that's a technical term) of data
(and they get all the Cat I's too).

Bammkkkk

linkage:
[0]: http://sguil.sourceforge.net/images/0.5/transcript.png